Newham ASB and Offender Floating Support
Newham ASB and Offender Floating Support provides floating support for offenders with substance misuse issues in Newham.
Newham ASB and Offender Floating Service Aims
The key objective for this service is to enable offenders with substance misuse issues to secure and remain in accommodation and reintegrate into the local community. The service aims to:
- Provide tailored support to each client to maximise their chances of integration into the community and minimise their chances of offending
- Encourage offenders to uphold conditions associated with their licence/order
- To address and reduce anti-social behaviour
- Participate in/encourage inter-agency working
- Provide support in a flexible manner which takes into account clients’ racial and cultural backgrounds, respecting individual dignity and privacy
- Respond to the changing needs of individual clients
- Build clients’ confidence and self esteem and encourage independence.
- Address the housing support needs of offenders with substance misuse issues
- Support clients to develop skills, access education, employment and training and other meaningful activities.
- Assist in accessing welfare benefits entitlements, including housing benefit.
Newham ASB and Offender Floating Support Referral Criteria
The service is for:
- Offenders with support needs relating to substance misuse (drugs and alcohol)
- People aged 18 and above
- Newham residents either living in the community (in any tenure including of no fixed abode) or in custody
Referrals will be considered on a case by case basis. Referral to the service can be made through any agency in Newham or on a self-referral basis. Likely sources of referrals will come from:
- Community Justice Integrated Team
- Drug and alcohol workers in treatment services
- Community Mental Health Teams
- Probation Officers or DIP workers
- Housing Options Team
- Community safety teams
- The Police Service
Self-referrals can be made by telephone or at SHP surgeries run at the office of the Probation Service.
If you want to make a referral you can use existing agency paperwork, such as OASys, NTA assessment or triage forms along with the SHP referral form.
Newham ASB and Offender Floating Support Service Delivery
The service is delivered through:
- One to one support: Staff provide keywork sessions in the client’s home, at the office of SHP or another relevant agency, or at another suitable location in the community. The number of hours of support each client receives each week will vary according to their needs, but will probably be more intensive at the start of the service and during any arising crises.
- Crisis resolution: Quick interventions to alleviate immediate and urgent needs such as homelessness, multiple debt, benefits out of payment.
- Advisory sessions: These take place at Plaistow Police Station and the Criminal Justice Integrated Team Offices.
- Engagement and intervention: Providing support to prepare for clients’ release from prison
More about Newham ASB and Offender Floating Support
The support provided comprises three main elements:
- Floating support: to help people in any type of accommodation to manage their tenancy and live independently in the community.
- Housing advice and signposting: where structured housing-related support is not appropriate
- Partnership working: To help people engage or maintain engagement with external agencies relevant to supporting their needs.
Contact the team
T 020 8478 8532
F 020 8911 9701